5.1 is launching later today!
This release doesn’t have any drastic changes. The UI is a bit more modern, but still familiar. Your users won’t have any trouble finding things
The login page is the biggest change (inspired by Postleaf). No more box! Here are some previews, and below are additional notes on what’s to come.
Here are some screenshots for comparison:
Login in 5.0
Login in 5.1
Pages List in 5.0
Pages List in 5.1
And here’s the editor (I used a very basic test page so it’s less distracting):
Live Editor in 5.0
Live Editor in 5.1
As you can see, 5.1 is still very familiar. It ships with a lighter font weight and a subtler blue. It’s a bit flatter (no more aluminum) and overall it feels cleaner. The base font is a tiny bit lighter too, which makes a huge difference in how the app feels.
- Modernized UI
- New, generic pencil favicon (that globe icon is pretty ugly!)
- The navigation menu (tabs and mobile) has been improved
- The Live Editor and Region Editor are both full-screen (no more header in these views)
- The gray pencil “bubbles” have been removed from the Live Editor (these often conflicted and caused confusion on pages that have regions placed close together; hovering still shows editable guides as expected)
- The Live Editor and Region editor now properly support viewport CSS units (e.g.
- All available toolbar buttons have been enabled for mobile devices
- The Code Snippet and Media modal has been removed in favor of the embed modal
- Embedded media now shows up in the editor (instead of a black placeholder)
- oEmbed has been added with support for over 60 providers (works via paste or embed)
- Custom paths to documents and media have been removed and “images” has been renamed to “uploads”. (Due to a bug, the documents path didn’t actually do anything and media is no longer used either. The biggest change here is really the name.)
- A top-of-the-screen progress bar is now used to indicate loading states (except in modals and a handful of exceptions where progress can’t be determined)
- The payment info form has been simplified
- Invoices now support customizable details (your billing department will be happy!)
- A number of internal updates and improvements
- Tables are no longer directly editable due to a TinyMCE update (see this post)
What’s to expect with 5.2
We’re not done yet. Here’s what to expect in the coming weeks:
- Drag & drop uploading in the Live Editor and File Manager [COMPLETED]
- Custom snippets [COMPLETED]
- Webhooks! This is HUGE. You’ll be able to do all kinds of things with webhooks: git integrations, Zapier applications, this is a really powerful feature.
- Editable background images We’re still looking into how feasible this is, but we’re going to try to get this into 5.2.
- Safe writes during publishing Surreal will copy the old page, write the new one, verify the new one was written properly, and then delete the old one. This will prevent an uncommon but frustrating issue where pages become empty after certain FTP/SFTP operations.)
- Predefined gallery types Galleries have become a bit of a pain point, so we’re trying to address this by supporting some of the most common photo gallery/slider plugins out of the box.
That’s it for now. Back to work!