Issues with sites powered by Network Solutions

Overview

Over the past few days, we’ve noticed ongoing issues with websites powered by Network Solutions. In all cases, the user attempts to edit a page only to see the following error:

All affected users have reported that there have been no DNS changes or other hosting-related changes to their websites. All users have also confirmed they are using Network Solutions.

Our Tests

We have run a number of tests on various domains that are affected by this problem. These tests are simple curl requests that have been run from a number of different machines using different IP addresses. Based on the results, we’re confident that the issue is NOT related to Network Solutions blocking Surreal CMS.

Here is a sample result of each curl request:

$ curl -i -v http://[DOMAIN]/
*   Trying [IP ADDRESS]...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to [DOMAIN] ([IP ADDRESS]) port 80 (#0)
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> Host: [DOMAIN]
> User-Agent: curl/7.54.0
> Accept: */*
> 
* Recv failure: Operation timed out
* stopped the pause stream!
* Closing connection 0
curl: (56) Recv failure: Operation timed out

A request such as this should yield the resulting HTTP headers and body. Instead, the request times out every time.

Furthermore, public DNS tests are showing PTR errors on nameservers owned by Network Solutions:

We are attempting to contact Network Solutions to notify them of this issue and we’ll update this post once we hear back.

Just to emphasize, this is not an issue with Surreal CMS connecting to your website. We have been able to replicate the issue both from the CMS and from a number of altenate systems using a number of different IP addresses.

In many cases, simply loading affected websites in a web browser also times out. We believe this is a DNS issue that needs to be resolved by Network Solutions, and we encourage affected users to open a support ticket with them directly.

We have reported this to Network Solutions via Twitter, but since we are a mutual service provider (not a customer) we don’t have the ability to open an official support ticket.

Update 2018-06-28: One of our users submitted a support ticket to Network Solutions and worked to escalate it. They were finally able to resolve the issue. :muscle:

The issue now appears to be resolved for all affected users. If you continue to see this error, please submit a help request so we can work to fix it again.

Unfortunately, Network Solutions hasn’t detailed what was causing this to happen, but if I find out I’ll update this post with their explanation!

The official response from Network Solutions was:

I can confirm for you that our engineers have whitelisted the Surreal CMS IP address you provided us.