7.0: Soft Launch


Me too. It was one of my favorite features in the old version (even though I myself didn’t use it that much). If there’s enough demand down the road, I’ll be happy to bring it back.


I just posted some more info, including a list of what’s new/changed in the new version.



Anyone else find the blog challenging to read? I don’t know if it’s the color or the font - or perhaps it’s just my eyes. :slight_smile:


Background Regions

Just testing this code block for Background Regions:

i  <div id="my-bg" class="cms-editable" data-type="background" style="background-color: #08d;">

      <p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisic ing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et
        dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea
        commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat
        nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit
        anim id est laborum...</p>


In the CMS editor its not allowing you to edit the background style color at all.



I haven’t tested out all the features but I read in the blog post that custom domains are no longer possible. Out of curiosity, how much were Cloudflare expecting?

This is a huge feature and I would have thought with Node.js, it would be much easier to implement considering you can write a web server with Node.js.

If Cloudflare are out of your price point, maybe StackPath could help.

You probably have visited this StackOverflow question already but I will link it here if you haven’t.

I really believe this still possible and am willing to share my ideas regarding implementation. I would also be willing to pay a couple of extra dollars for the feature. It could be an add-on feature.


Additional information that may help with implementing custom domains.

I would say the best way would be using greenlock express since it has built-in support for dynamic virtual hosting (vhost).

When I get the time, I might play around with an implementation but don’t count on it.

I really hope this feature can be in version 7.1


I got two quotes from two different sales people. They consider it an enterprise feature, so the minimum monthly is $3,000 for both — and that’s assuming only 50% PRO users want to pay for it.

Most Node.js apps (including this one) sit behind nginx. In any case, without a service like CloudFlare you’d have to manage the certificates yourself.

You could use Let’s Encrypt, for example, but there’s a 100 domain limit on each certificate. Things get complicated quickly with domains being added, changed, and removed all the time. You’d have to build an entire certificate management system and it needs to integrate tightly with nginx.

There’s a reason people pay for this :slight_smile:

There are some other options that I’ll look into, though, it’s just not #1 on the list right now.


The theme’s default font size is 15px. I bumped it to 16px and made the text darker today.


Thanks, much easier to read. :slight_smile:


Thank you Cory, can’t wait to try new version. I will wait for the transition.
About prices… can you explain better the difference between paid and free version?
I have yearly subscription and I think that the price is correct for my usage.
Because I saw an increase from 10$/month to 19$/mont and it is quite double! I have only one website and just 3 editor accounts. :persevere:
Is it possible to have free basic version + just change notifications for 10$ XD.
Or more paid options and levels…
Thank you!


Free vs pro: https://www.surrealcms.com/pricing.html

(I’m on mobile so it’s easier to paste the link atm)

With one site, you’d probably be a good candidate for the free plan (editors are unlimited). If there’s an extraordinary circumstance that requires change notifications for one site, submit a request so we can discuss it.

In fact, I encourage all existing users who don’t feel like their usage would make sense with the new pricing model to contact me. Pricing is hard to get right and I could use that kind of feedback moving forward. There may be room for another plan with different parameters, for example.


Thank you!
After surreal 7.0 is launched for all users I would like to ask for:

  • A free version + change notification (price higher than 0$) or
  • A pro version but just for 1 website (reduced price)

Thank you again, I really can’t wait for the new version :blush:


Based on feedback, I’ve added another plan and changed the way free accounts work. The pricing page has been updated and has more details.

This update makes Surreal CMS free for personal, educational, and non-profit use with basic features and no site caps. For commercial use, there’s a $9/mo plan that also comes with Analytics. The Agency plan is still $19/mo and unlocks everything.


Dear Cory, thank you for your kind reply. I have one only website and it is educational but I make little profit from Adsense so it is reasonable for me to pay 9$/month. But change notification is not an optional for me because I have students updating the website contents and I really need to check their work.
Also I have paid Yearly plan for old version (expires November 2019 I think). So I expect that when 7.0 will be launched for all users, my subscription will be transferred to 7.0 until for the remaining paid months.
Thank you!!!


You’re sort of an edge case, so when it’s time to upgrade give me a shout and we’ll work something out :slight_smile:


Hello Cory, do you have any expected date for 7.0 official release with the possibility for hold user to update? Thank you.


I’m still trying to resolve the mixed content issue, as it will affect a lot of users. I also need to finish the upgrade script, which will automate the move from 5 to 7.

This may take a couple more weeks.

If you just have a handful of sites, you’re welcome to upgrade manually. Keep in mind that the two versions aren’t connected, so if you start a new subscription make sure to cancel your old one.

Apologies for the delay!


Hi, I’ve just got my subscription renewal reminder but as far as I can tell the free option in V7 will be fine for me - I lose the main site I use it for on Monday. What’s the best way to handle this, cancel and create a new account?
Edit: OK, I figured that was the way so I’ve now done it anyway.


Dear Cory, any news about the possibility to update from 5 to 7 ?? Thank you.


I still don’t have an exact date yet. There’s a lot to do to migrate this much data from one system to another, especially selectively. I’m working on it though!