7.0: Soft Launch

Hi everyone,

I soft launched the new version today. :partying_face:

Although I’ve done my best to ensure 7.0 has been tested extensively, it’s always my users who find the most interesting edge cases. That said, I’m going to need a few weeks to identify and iron out all the kinks before we let everyone upgrade.

So here’s how it’s going to roll out.

Starting today, all new signups will go to the new version. This will give me a slow but steady stream of users that can help me identify problems before we open the gates for the masses.

If you’re a 5.1 user (i.e. anyone who signed up before today), you’re more than welcome to create an account to try it out. Remember that your 5.1 account will not be linked to your new account, and there’s no way to import your existing sites/users just yet.

In the meantime, I still have some things I’d like to address including the aforementioned non-SSL websites issue, better onboarding for new users, and a small demo site for new users.

It’s always busy up here. :sweat_smile:

Of course, with a new version comes a new marketing website.

I’d really like to polish up the docs more once the dust settles. I have a lot of blog posts to write and videos to record, but I feel like this is a great start.

For historical purposes, the old website and docs can still be found here: v5.surrealcms.com

I’ll write more about the differences between 5 and 7 tomorrow. For now, I suggest skimming the new docs to learn about what’s new and what’s changed. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your continued patience as I continue rolling out the new version. :raised_hands:

This is great @cory, I’ll give it a try now.

Thanks for the update Cory, new version looks great.

I just playing around with it now, and testing the new features.

It would be handy if you could update the default demo site in v5 setup in “sites” folder and add it to the v7 site folder. So new users don’t need to have setup a new site to test the CMS out.

Thanks Cory

Cory -

The password recovery feature doesn’t work for v7. The reset link goes to an unreachable domain name!

These little things are the biggest pain when launching a new site! Congrats on getting V7 up and running.

Insert Gallery

Uploading images function for the Insert Gallery does not work for v7,
on Google Chrome Version 72.0.3626.109

• the actual image file is being uploaded to the server, but you can not add it to the Gallery itself via the editor

Yes! I’m going to be adding a nice one pager soon.

This will be fixed shortly.

That error means that the upload destination isn’t under the upload folder (configured in settings). What is the value of upload folder in sites > edit site?

Hey Cory

I doubled checked this before, I setup an upload folder on the server and this is the value of upload folder in sites > edit site

The “Image” upload works for adding single images, but not through “Gallery”.

@VanLe, I can’t replicate this. Send in a help request so I can take a look at your site’s settings.

Just sent the support email. Thanks

Can’t wait to start trying it Cory. Awesome work!

I tried loading a couple test sites and both times I got an error saying " Your browser does not support 3d animations on this page." (latest version of Chrome and Edge). It also tells me that there are no editable regions, but they are set correctly in the code.

That’s not a CMS error – it’s probably coming from your website, but submit a ticket anyway and I’ll take a look to see what’s triggering it.

I made some improvements to URL generation that resolved this. It only affected subsites (e.g. example.com/folder).

I see the password reset is working now! Just fyi the image in that email is broken.

Another couple questions:

1. Will the ability to schedule published changes return to v7? It’s a great feature in the current version!
  2. My test site connection validates (via FTP) but I can’t publish a page - I receive an error. Not sure why that would happen?

Thanks!

I’m not planning on it because lack of usage. Right now, there’s less than 20 pages queued for autopublish (in 5.1). It’s not worth the effort to develop and maintain when hardly anyone uses.

Send over a help request so I can take a look. This is a new stack and new libs for FTP, SFTP, etc.

I’m shocked scheduling isn’t used. Wow. That’s really huge for a couple sites. I’ll work on sending a support ticket on the FTP issue when I can.

Thanks!

Me too. It was one of my favorite features in the old version (even though I myself didn’t use it that much). If there’s enough demand down the road, I’ll be happy to bring it back.

I just posted some more info, including a list of what’s new/changed in the new version.

https://www.surrealcms.com/blog/announcing-surreal-cms-7.html

Anyone else find the blog challenging to read? I don’t know if it’s the color or the font - or perhaps it’s just my eyes. :slight_smile:

Background Regions

Just testing this code block for Background Regions:

i  <div id="my-bg" class="cms-editable" data-type="background" style="background-color: #08d;">

<p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisic ing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et
        dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea
        commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat
        nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit
        anim id est laborum...</p>

</div>

In the CMS editor its not allowing you to edit the background style color at all.

Thanks

I haven’t tested out all the features but I read in the blog post that custom domains are no longer possible. Out of curiosity, how much were Cloudflare expecting?

This is a huge feature and I would have thought with Node.js, it would be much easier to implement considering you can write a web server with Node.js.

If Cloudflare are out of your price point, maybe StackPath could help.

You probably have visited this StackOverflow question already but I will link it here if you haven’t.

I really believe this still possible and am willing to share my ideas regarding implementation. I would also be willing to pay a couple of extra dollars for the feature. It could be an add-on feature.